Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day 10

If I learned one thing tonight, it is that I will never go to class semi-dehydrated again and without drinking at least 2L of water an hour before. No excuse for it but today was a whirlwind and I had a meeting tonight and rushed out to go to class for 9pm. At work all day I tried to drink water but I found it especially difficult today between meetings and tight deadlines.  Tonight’s  class was extremely humid, and when I looked at the thermostat when I arrived it was 114 degrees, and that was after the door had been opened for a while airing out from the class before.  It was so hot that when I was in Shavasana it felt like I had a weight on my chest, as if the air in the room was heavy and pushing on my lungs each breath.  

About 20 minutes into class I felt a bit panicky because I couldn't get my breathing rhythm and I started to feel light headed. I decided it was time to take child’s pose for a few minutes . It is really tough to do that when everyone else in the room is holding the pose, and feeling like I should push through too but I put my “ego” aside and did what I knew was best for my body.  It’s called the yoga ego, in the article “Yoga Dos and Don’ts” number  10 says:  “Do Check Your Ego at the Door. You can have a safer and more enjoyable class if you leave your ego behind. Listen to your body, relax and go at your own pace. Remember, that yoga is not a competition with other students or with yourself”.  So that is exactly what I did… :)

After a few minutes resting in child’s pose, I was able to calm my breath and mind but found it to be my most challenging class I have had yet.  Every minute I had to consciously keep my mind on Kenny’s voice and the sound of my breath. My mind wanted to drift but I forced myself to get it together.  Learned my lesson, dehydration is not something I want to experience ever again.

Challenging pose of the night: (my hips were very tight again tonight so I really noticed it during this pose):         

Happy Baby pose / Ananda Balasana

I know what you are thinking...weird but cute name for a yoga pose. I thought the same thing, but look...

The pose really does mimic a happy baby... :)

Today I am grateful that I am 1/3 through the 30 day challenge and haven’t missed a day (if you miss a day you need to double up to make up for a missed class). I am going to listen to my body and hope tomorrow’s class I will be stronger,more focused and fully hydrated :) Day 10 complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment